The Art of Doing
We all know that it takes hard work and the occasional dose of luck for someone to make it to the top of their chosen field, but is that all? To find out we asked dozens of people at the top of their field, including celebrities, entrepreneurs, artists and iconoclastic achievers, “How do you do what you do?” In the beginning, our goal was to uncover what was unique about each one of the superachievers we interviewed. But after months of research and thousands of hours of conversations we were surprised to discover how much a rock star, for instance, had in common with a tennis champ, or how alike a race car driver was to an astrophysicist in search of signs of extraterrestrial life. Learn their secrets here.
Best of Articles
16 Articles That Can Change Your Life and Work
We’ve written hundreds of articles and posts over the last decade. Below are what many consider to be our best articles that have been the most popular, the most shared or had the greatest effect on readers’ lives. We’ve organized them into four categories of four articles each.
Career Success Strategies That Actually Work
- Secret Ingredient for Success — The single most important success strategies of all time. Our most popular article ever, a top emailed story for The New York Times.
- 5 Leadership Lessons from Malala Fast Company — What she learned as a teenager, most people don’t learn in a lifetime. Our story for Fast Company.
- The Rise and Fall and Rise, Again, of Dr. C — Dr. C had it all until he realized his life’s practice was about to go under. Our story for Entrepreneur Magazine
- Funktastic Career Strategies from Funk Master George Clinton — Our story for Fast Company.
Understand Your Mind & Boost Your Emotional Intelligence
- These Two Hormones Divide Winners from Losers — Our story for New York Observer
- Hope is Not a Wimp — Hope combined with action is a powerful force for genuine change. Our story for Psychology Today
- How a Media Start Found Mindfulness After a Meltdown in Front of 5 Million People — Our story for Fast Company
- What a Teenage Solo Circumnavigator Taught Me About How to Deal With Stress Our story for Psychology Today
Creativity is a Superpower
- What Happened When One Teacher Threw Out The Curriculum? — How to use creativity to go further than you imagined possible. Our story for Fast Company
- What Steph Curry, Amazon and Wormholes Have in Common — Our story for Fast Company
- Think Like a Freak — The authors of Freakonomics want you to think this way. Our story for Fast Company
- Steal like Picasso — How outside inspiration can fuel innovation. Our story from Fast Company.
Communications: How to Speak, Write & Fight Better
- 8 Master Strategies for Public Speaking — Practice these 8 strategies to stand up and speak out. Our story for Fast Company
- 5 Big Rules for Writing and Life from the Master Thriller, Tom Clancy — Our story for Fast Company
- 10 Writing Rules from Elmore Leonard — Mind your exclamation points and other rules for writers. Our story for Fast Company
- To Change People’s Minds, Stop Fighting — Our story in the New York Observer